Monday, April 16, 2012

Korea: One Year Later

Monday the 9th marked my 1 year Korea-versary and what an adventure this past year has been. We started TTC, moved 3 times, flew internationally 5 times (roughly 80 hours on a plane!), got our first car after 5 car-less months, explored Korea and became parents to an amazing little girl all in a year's time. I spent my Korea-versary having lunch with friends while Steven was making the 2 hour drive to get someone from Incheon airport.

Tummy Time :)

One difficult aspect of Army life is moving away from friends and family. I am lucky enough to have made good friends here in Korea. Every Wednesday a group of Army wives meet up for lunch somewhere new, we call it Lunch with the Ladies. This week's LWTL was conveniently right across the street from base at Puffins so Steven dropped Avery and I off on his way back to work. I managed to record Avery laughing but my phone is being a pain so I've yet to upload it. After lunch my friend Pagi and I hopped on the base bus and rode to the PX. Our husband's have the same birthday so we searched for presents. Afterwards we hung out in Starbucks for hours talking and enjoying each other's company until our husband's got off work and picked us up :) Pagi just got here a few months ago and I already consider her a good friend. She leaves Korea before we do so that will be a sad day.


Up from her nap
Avery Quinn - 14 weeks

Avery and I have tourist passports which means we can only stay in Korea for 90 days unless we have a SOFA stamp. On Thursday we got the paperwork we'd been waiting on to go get the stamp. We made the roughly 20-30 minute drive to Osan AB. When we got there we were told we needed Avery's report of birth from the consulate. We didn't think we needed that so we didn't have it and had to make the drive back home to Humphreys. By the time we made it back to Osan there was a different man working the desk who informed us that we didn't need the report of birth... We turned in the paperwork but alas another road block. Steven's DEROS (date eligible for return from overseas) was wrong...by two years. Since we couldn't get the stamps we decided to eat at Chilis (which is on Osan) but as we pulled into the parking lot Steven got called back into work. Another long drive back to Humphreys this time with empty bellies. Steven was in the hanger for all of 45 seconds before being allowed to leave. We were done with this day haha. We gave someone a ride to the barracks and checked the mail room for packages before heading home for the night.


Avery enjoying the app for babies Steven downloaded

Friday was seemingly uneventful but I was pleasantly surprised by a taxi driver. As I walked towards his cab he hopped out and helped me with my bags and even broke down the stroller while I strapped Avery's car seat in. When we got to my apartment he brought the stroller to my door and put my things into the bottom bin :)
This weekend we were incredibly lazy. It was the first really nice warm day and we didn't want to waste it doing chores. We took a nice family walk in the sunshine <3 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you're blogging! I miss the heck out of you guys and I can't believe how much has happened in the last year either. Looking forward to lots more posts on life in Korea and the growing bebe. Much love to the Lyons!

    ReplyDelete