Sunday, April 21, 2013

Avery's 15 Month Check Up


My first day with two kids and no husband around to help! It was difficult, I'm not going to lie. Having Jayden around is effectively killing my baby fever (although I would give birth to a baby and not a 5 year old). Day 3 and I'm already annoyed that nap time isn't my time anymore, I haven't watched one of my shows at all, I haven't gotten on the computer, the dishes from constant eating are piling up, the laundry from bed-wetting isn't fun to clean, I constantly have to go sanitize the toilet because of pee and poop all over the seat, I am being asked questions around the clock and just when I think there will be a moment of silence it is filled with a complaint instead. On top of all of that I still have an active and teething 15 month old to take care of. I really miss it just being the two of us during the day.

Thankfully Kristen came over to the house that day and brought coffee! I'm too scared to drive anywhere with both kids since Jayden doesn't listen when it comes to cars and parking lots so I hadn't been able to get coffee that day. Steven got home shortly after Kristen arrived. He offered to watch the kids so we could have some girl time. Kristen's kids were at home with their father so we were both kid-less for the first time in...years. The last time I remember hanging out with Kristen and no kids was her 21st birthday two years ago! What can I say? Our kids are our life :)

The next day I was officially on my own. I didn't have anyone to come save me or help me keep my sanity. The previous day I had taken Jayden and Avery to the basketball court and the playground for nearly 3 hours to try and wear them out, but I ended up being the only one exhausted. The next day I decided to work smart, not hard. I took Jayden and Avery to the gated park at the far end of our complex. A Head Start class holds their recess at that park so Jayden got to play with 20 kids his age. All the girls were interested in Avery though and followed her around the entire time lol


Surrounded by the Head Start kids

On Friday I took Jayden and Avery back to the gated park but the Head Start kids weren't out there :/ It was still very enjoyable though, the kids got to run around without me chasing them. We were there for hours! Avery was only interested in the slide and went down it non-stop. After a while we left the park and walked to the gas station. I got ice cream and Jayden got sour strings :) By the time we got home both kids were exhausted. My mom came over a few hours later to pick up the kids for the night. It was Avery's first sleep over and my first baby-less night in two years (since I got pregnant in April 2011 and immediately got pregnancy insomnia).

Steven and I walked around down town, it was a beautiful evening. We located an Italian restaurant that everyone has been raving about but one look at the menu had us walking out, nothing sounded appetizing. Instead we shared a slice of spaghetti pie, a first for me, but it was pretty good. Steven had reserved tickets to see The Host. Its a movie based off of my favorite book so I've been apprehensive to see it. By the end I was distraught over how much my beloved book was butchered.  We came home to an empty house, Steven made a comment about how quiet it was without the baby. I burst into tears and proceeded to cry for nearly an hour over how much I missed my baby.

The next day was magical. I woke up on my own without being prompted by a crying baby. I got ready while blaring music instead of quietly while the baby naps. On the way to my mom's house I stopped for lunch and coffee, then out of the blue dropped by Kristen's house. I intended on returning her headphones and sun glasses that she left at my house a few days prior, I expected her to be at work but when I arrived her car was still in the driveway. I walked up to her door and as I raised my hand to knock she opened the door. I scared her half to death! We mingled for a few minutes before going our separate ways, I have to admit that not having Avery really took the anxiety out of quick trips and going into places instead of finding a drive through.

By the time I got to my parents' house my mom, Avery and Jayden were gone. I was supposed to pick up Jayden and take him to his uncle's house but apparently one night with him was too much for my parents and they took him over early. Avery was so happy to see me when they got back...for about 15 minutes. She hadn't napped all day and was overly tired, it was tantrum after tantrum the rest of the day.


Yvette and I had lunch on Sunday afternoon at a Mexican restaurant. Yvette and the staff all spoke Spanish the entire time so I just sat there silently. Avery happily spread refried beans into her hair and all over her pants... My mom came over immediately after Yvette left and we went to Talon Tattoo. One of the employees, John, was so nice to us - he was very kind and helped my mom design her tattoo, he made us both feel really comfortable. I drove my mom back to Meridian in the Durango and she left her Explorer for Steven to drive over, that way we weren't taking 3 cars out to Meridian. We had awesome meatball subs for dinner :) Before heading home we stopped by Yvette's apartment so that Steven could help her carry a table, he's such a good son :)


Avery's first otter pop

Avery had her 15 month check up on Monday afternoon. My poor girl has lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks since switching to soy milk :( She is otherwise very healthy and the doctor was quite impressed with her vocabulary. Avery got two shots which was no fun but the nurse gave her a lollipop, a new book, and let her pick a toy afterwards. We ran some errands after the appointment which included going over to Yvette's apartment again. We let her borrow our 32 in TV, we never use it since we have a new 46 in. Avery had fun running around her apartment and jumping on her air mattress :) That evening we realized that the movies we rented from Hastings were due back that day. I agreed to return them but not before playing 30 minutes of Call of Duty and getting a back rub from Steven :)


Weighing herself

Tuesday is Steven's Sunday so I let him sleep in late. I was feeling very home-maker-ish and cooked a delicious breakfast while simultaneously preparing lunch for the slow cooker and baking muffins - all while entertaining Avery ;) Steven was pleasantly surprised since I don't cook food ever in fear of poisoning the entire family. He took Avery out with him to run errands which gave me a chance to clean up the house a bit. Avery was a fuss bucket when they got back, she always is the day after shots :( We were supposed to go to Kristen's house for a play date but Kristen was kind enough to bring her boys over to my house so we didn't have to take Cranky out again. Thankfully Avery's attitude improved with the distraction of Conner, she loves following him around. We enjoyed the chili and corn bread I made for lunch as the kids played. A few hours later Kristen and the boys took off. She texted me that Conner had passed out in the car, I then realized that Avery had passed out too. She had fallen asleep propped up against Steven and was trapping one of his arms. He desperately wanted to play Call of Duty but couldn't with the sleeping baby. He made several attempts to escape but couldn't without waking her. Steven eventually gave up and fell asleep too while I played Call of Duty. It was the perfect ending to the day.


Both my loves passed out


Avery Quinn - 15 months

No comments:

Post a Comment