Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Longest Day EVER

The Lyon family has officially lived in the United States for a year! January 1st 2013 was one of the most chaotic days of my life. Steven, Avery, and I got up at 4:30 in the morning, packed the rest of the tiny hotel room we had been living in for a week, and caught a bus to the airport. On the way to the airport we saw several car accidents occur on the very icy roads and hoped we weren’t next to crash (crazy Korean drivers). When we finally got to the airport two hours later they started announcing that flights were cancelled due to the bad weather, but thankfully our flight wasn’t one of them – however we had to go to the complete opposite end of the airport for our check-in. We had 5 suitcases, 3 back packs, a 1 year old, her stroller and her car seat to lug around.

I really wanted Avery to have her own seat but the Army never bought her a ticket home because of “paperwork issues” and, because our move took place between Christmas and New Years, the issue was never resolved. Our first flight was a 2 hour hop over to Japan, then it was on to the US. The flight from Japan to San Francisco was the worst flight of my life – 4 hours into the flight the plane began shaking violently, it made drops so steep that personal items were strewn about, people were crying, and even the flight attendants started praying. The flight lasted 9 hours, for 5 straight hours I thought my family was going to die, it was horrific. I’ve flown nearly 100 times with only 1 bad flight (this one) so I’ve managed to put that behind me and continue to fly, Steven hasn’t flown since that day, it took some major convincing to get him on the flight from San Francisco to Boise.

We started our journey home on January 1st 2013, we travelled for 28 straight hours, and arrived home on January 1st 2013…. Because of the 16 hour difference between Korea and Idaho, January 1st 2013 will always be the longest day of my life.

This new year was a lot more mellow than last year thankfully. Steven and I weren’t invited to do anything so we stayed home with Avery and went about our usual routine. Around 11:30 pm some idiots started lighting off fireworks even though it’s strictly prohibited in our apartment complex, they continued lighting them off until well after midnight and ended up waking Avery :/ It’s funny how I loved fireworks until I became a parent, now I hate them.


I had a doctor appointment on the 2nd. Avery was being insanely adorable as we sat waiting for the doctor – she patted my shoulder and told me I was doing a good job sitting down, then she hugged me and told me I was being a good girl haha. After the appointment she kept telling people to have a nice weekend, I was dying from cuteness overload. My mom and I had lunch that afternoon, I cherish our lunches, I’m going to be sad when I move and they end. The day ended on a fun note with a family nerf war in the house. My Aunt Kim and Uncle Mike got us nerf guns for Christmas – Steven got a little nerf gun and I got a nerf crossbow. That evening Steven shot me with the nerf gun and it started an all out war, he was hunkered down in our bedroom and I took cover in Avery’s room – Avery’s job was collecting the bullets and resupply.


On Friday, I dropped Avery off at daycare. Kristen met me over there so I could accompany her on a tour of the daycare for the boys. I really wanted to hang out with her after the tour but I had to get to my mom’s house to help her clean and prep for Avery’s birthday party. Mom and I went shopping for food and set up decorations, it was a lot of fun. Also, Steven got another letter from his secret admirer. What started out as a simple "random act of kindness" thing (basically Steven sent a gift to a random person that also signed up to participate, and he got a gift from a random person in exchange) that Steven participated in for Christmas has evolved into a little crush I think. The first week Steven received authentic costume material worn by Gwyneth Paltrow in Iron Man, the second week he got a PF Changs gift card, then a Red Robin gift card, and on Friday he got a Cheese Cake Factory gift card. There is no name on the envelope but he's received $75 worth of gift cards and this time the envelope had tons of hearts on it. I should probably be jealous but this mystery person has paid for several dates so far haha.  






Pictures of Avery’s party won’t load for some reason so I shall include those in a separate post J

No comments:

Post a Comment